Student Funding

When I began my application for funding at university I was extremely nervous, what if I couldn't afford to work part time and attend university? To my complete surprise I found out that there was a mass of financial support made available to students. My tuition fees were already covered by SAAS (student award agency for scotland), which meant all there was for me to do was apply for a bursary & loan if required - It most definitely was!

I was living with my Gran upon starting university and in all honesty I didn't have that many bills to pay. I was used to earning a full time wage and didn't want to suddenly have less money every month, which is why I applied for a student loan along with my bursary. Looking back at my first 2 years at university I realise now that I didn't actually need to apply for the loan, I knew I would have to pay i back one day but at the time it felt like free money, so I wanted it.

Although I don't have children I have never used this service, most universities provide financial support towards the cost of child care. This is fantastic, it means all those parents in the world wishing to return to education can do so, and are provided with support if they need it. 

MONEY MONEY MONEY £££

Student funding is honestly awesome! Between my part time wage and my income from university I was making more than my previous full time wage. Another great thing about being a student is NO COUNCIL TAX BILL - WOHOO! If you are a full time student then you are exempt from paying council tax, however if others in your home are not students then a deduction is applied. For me & my Gran we didn't pay any council tax, I was a student and Gran was over 80 with dementia so she was also exempt, more money to enjoy!


Little bit of advice - try and save some money because during the summer there is no payments from university - BOO!

xx,

Karen

2 comments:

  1. Jolly good summation of the need to be thrifty !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, there is plenty funding options available to students

      Delete